Thursday, October 26, 2006

Updates

Sony...Since my rant, the battery recall has escalated. In addition Sony have been forced to cut the launch price of the PS3 in Japan. This has meant Sony's predicted profits have been cut by 53%! Income is down an amazing 94%! This is before any other manufacturers claim compensation. In addition their BluRay player has been further delayed until December, and yesterday they successfully managed to close down one of the most popular importing companies down. Despite the company in question being based in Hong Kong (so technically they aren't importing - simply selling products to people abroad) it was ruled that they were breaking the law. In revenge, they have published a list of Sony executives who imported PSPs from them last year before their UK launch. Sony's statement after the result of the case included the phrase "Ultimately, we're trying to protect consumers from being sold hardware that does not conform to strict EU or UK consumer safety standards, due to voltage supply differences et cetera". Odd because PSPs carry CE approved power supplies from Sony that can be used all over the world. Of course, the way their laptop batteries have been going maybe there are some safety issues.

Ghibli...Reviews of their August film Gedo Senki (Tales of Earthsea) haven't been positive at all. Hasn't put me off wanting to see it though. Could be a while though as it can't be released in the US (who will produce the English dub) until 2009. In related news, Film4 has been showing further Ghibli films including the fantastic, magical Whisper of the Heart complete with its original Japanese dub.

Home...It's been over three weeks now. I'm worryingly used to it by now - it's worrying because I love being self sufficient - the cooking, shopping and cleaning but once you've spent a few weeks living with your parents again you get used to be lazy again. Thesis-wise I'm nearly done - I'm waiting on my supervisor getting back to me on the two chapters I sent him. My pet project is helping my parents tidy the house. It's absolutely unbelievable - after getting so much shit for having an untidy room when I was younger, it's amazing to look at the house. There are piles of papers everywhere, business cards from the 80s, years worth of Tesco points statements and catalogues. They are complete hoarders (getting them to buy a new kettle after finding the current one had lost most of its inside coating and sported a green filament was very hard) but I'll beat it out of them.

No comments: