Sunday, October 01, 2006

Packing up and moving home

It's finally over. After seven years my time at Trevs has officially ended. I woke up in my room on Wesnesday, as it has been for the last 15 months. Everything seemed normal. By the end of that day I had started packing away my stuff - even though I've lived in the house's smallest room I've still got 3 years worth of accumulated crap. The big things like books, folders and DVDs packed away easily, but it was the small things that really made the room my own. Whether it be the notes left on my door, my "junior server of the year" tankard or even things like my fast fret jar that's now a pen holder, these were the things that I noticed every day and made it my room. Indeed, when I woke up on Thursday it was only my pictures and posters on the walls that still made it my room. As I packed these away, the room reverted back to being a college room. The subtle difference in how sounds reverberated was a reminder of its emptyness.

Thursday evening brought about our leaving do. An assortment of chemists and Trevs students gathered at the New Inn at 5.30 to celebrate the passing of myself and Blondie which you can read more about in the last post or next post - I'm not really sure what's happening.

Unfortunately, all the cheap vodka-red bulls took their toll as I woke up at 6.30 and couldn't get back to sleep. Blondie and I walked down to the department for the last time. I finished off cleaning out my desk and lab space and handed back my lab keys (although the £75 deposit refund looks like it will be mostly swallowed by the chrge for continuation). Eventually Matt had handed in his thesis and I had handed in my thesis title.

We said goodbye to Matt and dropped off our House 3 keys before getting a taxi to the station for our respective trains south. Blondie and I met on our first day in Durham and now 6 years, 362 days later here we were on our last day in Durham getting trains 20 minutes apart. Our friend Emma had accompanied us so we all said our goodbyes and caught our trains. It was nice to be seen off as it meant we didn't just annonymously leave Durham by ourselves.

I've been at home for a couple of days now and it's exactly like I thought it would be - I feel like I'm going back to Durham soon and I can't get used to the fact that I don't have to do anymore practical work for my PhD. Hopefully I get most of it written in the next few weeks and begin the fine tuning for the week after for a submission in late October. I decorated my bedroom just before my PhD so it really doesn't feel like my room at all anymore. In many ways "my room" is gone for ever.

I'm already bored and I hate television. I'd be quite happy to never watch it again. Desite Freeview having nearly 40 channels, there's either nothing on or they schedule 3 decent films at the same time. In my first 12 hours here I saw a load of adverts for the first time and now I'm fed up to the back teeth with them. The fact that my parents seem happy to witter away the nights watching ITV3 is almost unbearable. The good thing is it's made me even more anxious to get finished up and find a job so I can move out. I finally feel like I can be self sufficient, but I'm probably just kidding myself.

No comments: