Saturday, July 15, 2006

True love waits - Chris O'Riley plays Radiohead

Whilst out in Japan, I saw a new release of Radiohead covers. I debated whether to buy it despite the £15 price tag common to CDs in Japan, but decided to read up on it first. Having listened to the samples on Amazon, it seems that most of the tracks are abysmal. There's a novel version of the track Just that you can see on Youtube, but that was about the best. I kept on digging and found the two recordings from classical pianist Chris O'Riley: True love waits and Hold me to this. There are some sample songs available from O'Riley's website and I've made available Black Star on my webspace until I leave uni.
They're very laid back and clever interpretations of the songs for piano and O'Riley isn't affraid to transcribe lesser known album tracks and B-sides such as I can't and title track True love waits. I haven't got the second album yet as I'm waiting for it to appear cheaply on Amazon marketplace.

No comments: