Tuesday, March 21, 2006

And just like that a year has passed - my time on the SSC


I only started working for Trevs' Bar in my 4th year. Most of my friends were leaving after 3 years and I needed a way to keep in touch with college. Thankfully, the BMC at the time looked past my complete lack of experience and fact that at the time I only had one year left and took me on. Anyone who arrived in October 2002 and got a soft drink from the bar on arrival at Trevs would have been served by me in my first shift. I quickly developed a passion for the bar and luckily I was also good at working. Working and becoming more involved with the bar became the best thing I did at college. I met a load of cool people - on both sides of the bar - who I wouldn't have otherwise known. Eventually, after 2 and a half years, when the new positions on the SSC became available I applied and was confident I would get on. The fact there were only 11 applications for 9 positions helped.
Today we got an email form Trevs' Sabb bar chair, James, to tell us - the first ever SSC - that we were officially retired and had been removed from the mailing list and had our senior rota rights removed. Sure enough, I was unable to sign up as senior for the shift on Tuesday. It seems like only yesterday that we all met in the bar for our first meeting. At that time I only knew about 3 of them - Brooks (the interim bar chair) and James and Sarah (cos I'd worked with them). Everybody else were strangers to me. It was with some trepidation that I attended pre-handover drinks with the old and new exec and senior servers. This nervousness perhaps explains why I got absolutely battered - more so than perhaps any other night. By the time our bonding trip was over, all the nervousness had gone. Vodka jelly, out of date Desperados, Heaven & Hell, copious amounts of tequila, bad bowling, late night meals and the most uncomfortable trip up the M1 ever helped. We were all friends and eager to help each other out as we ramped up to the job of being seniors, our cocktail tasting senior social only helped cement us. By the second term, at an ill-advised 9.30am Saturday morning meeting, even though we hadn't really seen each other all summer we were fully bonded. Somehow, all the fuss over formals has marred the last third of our tour of duty and made some members a bit more apathetic towards the bar. I wish the new seniors well, but we will always have been the first SSC and for the most part had a lot of fun! So, in the mean time, it's back to being a junior server and trying to avoid the dreaded door shift and trying really hard not telling the new seniors how to do their jobs...

No comments: