Thursday, December 08, 2005

Random Phone Pictures

I've finally got around to clearing my phone of all the pictures clogging it up. It's pretty amazing how much I use it - when phone cameras became popular I always scoffed that I'd never use one, especially as they had low resolutions, bad lenses and no flash/zooms. To be fair, some modern phones sort out most of these problems, but my Orange SPV C500 has only a bad VGA lens, no flash and the inability to take good pictures in anything other than ideal lighting. Yet, for some reason I find I'm using it a lot. Here are a few of the better pictures I've extracted:


First up are a couple of sunset shots - The first is from over the summer and was taken from the back of a car going up the A1 (at speed). The slow response time of the lens gives the forground a nice motion blurred effect. Of course - this was entirely an accident as the phone offers no camera adjustments except to tell it what the lighting conditions are.


The next one was taken more recently since the clocks went back (end of October) when sunset moved forward to around 4pm.

Moving on to some of the more odd things you see around Durham.
First up is a rugby club social that happened to br going on in St. Cuth's when we were in there in early November. Not only were they all dressed as girls, one of the drinking games involved drinking "general contributions" from a shoe whilst all the rest of the team chanted "Boot, boot, boot". Very random.


Second is a fresher rite-of-passage at Trevs' formals. Once the freshers are introduced to the 2p in the glass games, it will inevitably escalate until someone is 2p'd whilst holding the gravy...

The final 3 pictures (for now) are a picture of my friend, Lue at the Durham City Beer festival over the summer.
Again, due to the crapness of the shutter speed, all the people in the background apear blurred and fast moving (most people who've been to beer festivals will agree that noone moves particularly fast). Lue's left Durham to write up his thesis and I wish him well. A lot more of my friends than I first realiased left last year, Lue was one of the last to leave in mid September.

Moving on, we come to a picture of one of the post-docs from my lab, Mustafa, attempting to drill a hole in one of our work desks so we could feed some cables through. Despite the holesaw being broken (the drill bit turned but the hole saw didn't), he kept at it - which required him to not only clamber onto the desk but also swear a lot.

Finally we have a picture of me taken a couple of weeks ago sporting my SSC shirt shortly after a bar shift sitting in my small, but cosy room.


We have just entered the last week of term (it's gone so fast despite me thinking it would drag) and there are loads of things comming up: some friends and I are going to see Doves in Newcastle on Sunday, then it's Christmas formal (the best food formal of the year) on Monday and I'm sitting with the rest of the SSC which always provides many laughs. Tuesday will bring our lab group's Christmas lunch at Oldfields followed by the pub and then we are trying to organise an MCR meal out later in the week. Hopefully I'll be able to post a load of photos soon.

No comments: