Thursday, September 29, 2005

First Class Virgin

I meant to post this last week, but didn't think to take my phone's usb cable with me... Virgin Trains normally offer upgrades to 1st class on weekend services for £15. I decided that for once I'd splash out and see what 1st class was all about. As I boarded the fabled "Coach A" of the voyager I was confronted straight away with two members of staff sitting around chatting (one of whom was in my seat) and four transport police were around a table. The 2x2 layout of the regular coaches (two seats each side of the train) was replaced by a 1x2 arrangement. Sitting down I found a small creased welcome card that informed me that I could get some complementary food and drink, but as it was a weekend I would have to go and get it myself(!). A quick wander through the squalor of the "regular" coaches and I was at the buffet car. Excitedly I pushed my 1st class ticket in front of the server with images of cooked breakfast (unlikely as it was nearl 2pm) or some big sandwiches. What I got was a little underwhelming consisting of a small carton of orange juice, mini Kit-Kat, mini slice of fruit cake, mini (can you spot a theme?) bag of pretzels, two crackers and soft cheese (but no knife) and a bag of fairly minging dried fruits.


After finishing this meagre offering I sat back, not really noticing any improvement in the quality or comfort of the seat. There was something nagging at me though and once I got off at Birmingham New Street and pushed may way past the now familiar groups of Aisan youths in puffa jackets I realised what it was - it was exclusive: I didn't have to worry about kids screaming or running up and down the carriage; didn't have to fret about letting people in and out of seats as they frequented the buffet car for more overpriced food; and not even a hint of worrying that some heft bloke with bad B.O. would sit next to me. I could simply enjoy my journey in peace.


If the £15 had been for both ways then it would have definitely been worthwhile - if only to hear the staff members bitching about collegues, but as it is I can't say that I'll be upgrading again without good cause.

No comments: