Thursday, February 08, 2007

Belief

So it's come down to this. I'm sat in the university library. In just under 18 hours I'll be going into my PhD viva. It's essentially the last hurdle to the completion of the work that began all those years ago in 2003. Essentially an examiner from another university (Strathclyde) and an examiner from Durham will spend around 3 hours discussing my thesis and work with me. This boils down to them asking lots of questions to test my knowledge of the subject and related areas.

I'm not overly nervous, but I'm getting the feeling I used to get before exam results - I'm pretty sure it's going to be OK, but what if it's not?. Everyone I've seen has offered up a "Good luck, I'm sure you'll be fine." but I just feel like I need someone to go further than that and tell me that they believe in me and that I will get through this and perhaps even more important be proud of me when/if I do well. Otherwise what is it? - just another piece of paper to stick on the wall and a couple more letters after my name. Being a doctor seemed a really cool thing to be three years ago, but now I can't quite remember why...

So - come on me!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So.....?