Saturday, January 21, 2006

The only calendar I've owned that came with instructions

Not that they helped much cos they're in Japanese. My annual quest to find an inspiring calendar for the year is over once again. This time I've gone ahead and not only spent over £15 on it, I've had to import it from Japan. Most of you will know of my love for Miyazaki and all the Studio Ghibli output, so this year I decided to treat myself to the official Ghibli calendar. Unfortunately it's only available in Japan, but luckily, East Asian supplier, Yes-Asia, supplied them (and they're VAT friendly as-well). For the money it's pretty huge and folds in three ways. The novelty (for me at least) is that there are 2 separate flipping elements - the artwork and the months. This means that you aren't bound to suffer through a odd "bad" picture for a month as you can pick and choose what picture you combine with what month.

Rather confusingly, there are 16 images (and, erm, obviously 12 months) and features at least one image from all the big Ghible releases (Nausicaa, Laputa, My Neighbour Totoro, Grave of the Fireflies, Kiki's Delivery Service, Only Yesterday, Porco Rosso, Ocean Waves, Pom Poko, Whisper of the Heart, Mononoke Hime, My Neighbours the Yamadas, Spirited Away, The Cat Returns and Howl's Moving Castle). The only problem is that's it's a pretty heavy beast and no doubt will make several unscheduled wall-to-ground transitions throughout the year...

No comments: